In the landscape of software testing tools, Katalon and Shot offer distinct capabilities for developers and QA professionals. Katalon is a comprehensive quality management platform with AI-augmented features for web, Android, and iOS testing, suitable for teams seeking a mix of low-code and full-code options.
On the other hand, Shot is an open-source, Android-specific screenshot testing tool that excels in UI consistency checks and integrates seamlessly with Gradle. While Katalon provides extensive testing features and support across multiple platforms, Shot focuses on streamlined screenshot testing for Android developers with a higher ease of use.
Latest update: 1/29/2024, 3:34:32 PM
We do not guarantee the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the information presented on our website. This includes prices, product specifications, and availability, which are subject to change. The reviews on this site are collected from g2.com and crozdesk.com and summarized by us.
Feature comparison of Katalon and Shot
|Uses Computer Vision
|Ease Of Use
|easy to learn
|requires expert technical knowledge
|Is Open Source
– Reduced Effort in Test Maintenance: Users report that Katalon simplifies the creation and maintenance of reusable methods, which can reduce time and effort significantly.
– Built-in Reporting Features: The platform automatically captures snapshots on test failures, which enhances the efficiency of reporting.
– Comprehensive Test Features: Offers features like Record, Object Spy, and Frame Handling, which streamline the testing process.
– Low Learning Curve: Katalon is accessible to manual testers, allowing them to transition to automation testing with minimal training.
– Cross-Functional Testing Support: It supports UI, API, and Mobile testing within a single platform, reducing the need to manage different tools for different types of testing.
– Community and Customer Support: There is strong community support for the free version and dedicated customer support for the paid version.
– Facilitates Cross-Functional Roles: Enables testers to handle both manual and automated testing, effectively becoming cross-functional team members.
– CI/CD Integration: For those who opt for the paid version, it offers Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment integration.
– Codeless Automation: Provides a codeless automation option, making it accessible for teams with limited coding knowledge.
– Efficiency in Test Execution: Users find that Katalon allows for faster test execution compared to manual testing, enabling more extensive and frequent testing.
– Separate Licensing: Some users find the need for separate licenses for different features to be a disadvantage.
– Cost for Advanced Features: Advanced features like CI/CD integration and Visual Testing require a paid license.
– Mobile Execution Issues: There have been reports of instability during mobile test execution, where sessions unexpectedly close.
– High Resource Usage: Users with less powerful hardware have experienced performance issues, indicating the platform may require substantial system resources.
– Lack of Support for Legacy Systems: Katalon currently does not support automation testing for legacy Java UIs, which can be a limitation for some organizations.
– Limited TestOps Analytics: The free version has limitations on the analytical results available through TestOps, pushing users towards the paid version for full functionality.
– Separate Licensing for Cloud Features: Features like Parallel Cloud Execution and Cloud Tunnelling require additional licensing, which can increase costs.
– Limited Free Features: Some users feel that the most valuable features are locked behind the paid version, which can be a barrier for smaller teams or individual users.
– Hardware Demands: The platform’s demand on hardware resources can lead to slower performance on less capable machines.
– No Bundled Packages: Users would prefer bundled packages for the various Katalon products to simplify licensing and possibly reduce costs.
Pricing Overview of Katalon and Shot
Katalon Pricing Description:
Katalon offers a tiered pricing model for its Software Quality Management Platform with options suitable for different team sizes and needs. The Starter Plan is free of charge, aimed at small teams or beginners in test automation, and includes basic test automation capabilities. For more advanced features, the Premium Plan is available at $167 per month (when billed annually) and offers professional-grade test creation and dynamic testing workflows. For organizations requiring enterprise-grade features, the Ultimate Plan is available with custom pricing. Katalon incentivizes annual billing with up to 25% savings and presents package deals for combined licenses. New customers can also benefit from special discounts on initial licenses. The platform supports a comprehensive testing cycle, including web, API, mobile, and desktop testing, with AI-powered and visual testing options.
Shot Pricing Description:
Shot is presented as free open-source software.
Comparison of Pricing Models
The pricing models of Katalon and Shot exhibit fundamental differences as well as a few common points. Below we will explore these in detail:
- Free Options: Both Katalon and Shot offer free versions. Katalon provides a Starter Plan with basic functionalities for small teams or those new to automation testing. Shot, as open-source software, is inherently free, which may appeal to individuals or organizations with limited budgets or those who prefer open-source community-driven solutions.
Pricing Structure: Katalon employs a tiered pricing model with escalating features and support levels, from a free Starter Plan to Premium and Ultimate Plans with monthly or annual billing cycles. In contrast, Shot is entirely free, making it a single-tier, cost-free solution.
Advanced Features and Support: Katalon’s paid plans offer more sophisticated features and capabilities, such as professional and enterprise-grade test creation, dynamic workflows, AI-powered testing, and visual testing. Shot, while free, may not inherently include such advanced features or may require additional development or plugins from the community.
Enterprise Solutions: Katalon caters to larger organizations through its Ultimate Plan, which includes enterprise-grade features and custom pricing. Shot, being open-source, does not offer a specific enterprise solution but can be tailored by the user community or in-house teams to meet the organization’s needs.
Billing and Discounts: Katalon provides incentives for annual billing with discounts of up to 25%, along with package deals and discounts for new customers. Shot, being free, has no billing structure or discounts.
Support and Maintenance: As a commercial product, Katalon likely offers structured customer support and maintenance for its paying customers, which can be a critical factor for businesses that require reliable and timely assistance. Shot, on the other hand, relies on community support, which can vary in responsiveness and expertise.
In conclusion, Katalon’s pricing model is designed for scalability and professional use, with support and advanced features that cater to a range of professional needs, from small teams to large enterprises. Shot offers a no-cost alternative that can be attractive for those with the ability or preference to leverage community support and open-source flexibility. Users should consider their specific requirements, including feature needs, support expectations, and budget constraints when choosing between these two software solutions.