Painless mobile test automation? Yes, it's possible!
|5 min||Setup time||2h|
|3 min||Write first test||2h|
|5 min||Fix broken test||2h|
|Tester||Who creates the tests?||Developer|
|€ 75 *|
* Assumptions: 20min per test
Tester cost per hour: € 25
15min * 10 tests = 3h
3h * €25 = €75
|Cost of automating 10 tests||€ 600 *|
* Assumptions: 1h per test
Developer cost per hour: € 60
1h * 10 tests = 10h
10h * €60 = €600
|€ 250 *|
* Assumptions: 1 change per test per month
Tester cost per hour: € 25
5min * 10 tests * 12 months = 10h
10h * €25 = €250
|Maintenance costs (10 tests / 1 year)||€ 7000 *|
* Assumption: 1 change per test per month.
Developer cost per hour: € 60
1h * 10 tests * 12 months = 120h
120h * €60 = €7200
Mobile test automation: Common challenges and Repeato's solutions
Mobile app testing becomes easy
Coding mobile app tests can take a lot of time and requires deep tech knowledge. Repeato works via record & play and thus makes app testing possible for people without coding skills.
Finally robust tests
Manually coded tests are sensitive and tend to break frequently. Repeato uses computer vision and machine learning to make tests more robust, and if necessary lets you record new tests within seconds.
Mobile apps get shipped without bugs
Manually coding tests can cost your team a lot of time, workload, and energy. Repeato saves your resources: testers can automate mobile tests, developers can focus on building a great product and users finally get apps with flawless UX.
1. Create your tests within seconds
Just connect your test device or simulator, and hit the record button.
Your mobile app is mirrored on your desktop and you can seamlessly interact with the mobile UI. All input actions are recorded. When you are done, just save the test to the library.
Repeato supports a wide range of frameworks: Flutter, React Native, Xamarin, Unreal Engine and many more.
2. Maintain your mobile tests with ease
Repeato allows you to organize your app tests in folders and batches. An intuitive UI helps you to structure your test library the way you want. And to find tests when you need them.
Checking for regressions in your newest application release becomes the matter of literally pressing a single button.
3. Find bugs with a single click
Time for regression testing:
Just select a batch and hit “run”.
Repeato executes all your tests and lets you know if a test failed. The tool optimizes the timing of execution, so tests are run as fast as possible and as slow as necessary. This is made possible by our revolutionary computer vision and machine learning algorithm.
4. Debug and fix fast with test run reports
Documenting and communicating bugs can be difficult and time consuming.
Repeato provides useful features to speed up the process. Test run exports easily find their way into your bug tracking system, streamlining the communication between testers and developers.
5. Run your tests, wherever you want
You want to run your tests on every pull request? No problem! Use the Repeato CLI headless testrunner to run tests in the cloud. On Github Actions, BitRise, CircleCI, codemagic, or even on your own server.
Feedback from mobile test automation users
"I could reduce the testing time from 30 minutes to 5 minutes per app"
Tester @ bitsfabrik.at
"Repeato is the future of app testing... I have a very complex app with embedded Flutter and Webview modules. No other testing solution works, except Repeato. It worked perfectly on the first try and was absolutely beautiful to watch... Amazing!"
Developer @ codelessly.com
"The barrier of entry is really simple. I had an intern try it out and he was able to create a test rather quickly, whereas the same test on espresso using the robot pattern will take quite a bit longer."
Android Engineer @ stockX.com
Read more about what our customers have to say about Repeato
Why Mobile Testing is Important
Mobile testing has become increasingly important with the rise of smartphones and mobile applications. The complexity of mobile app development and the diversity of mobile devices make the testing process challenging, requiring specialized tools and techniques to ensure high-quality apps that meet user demands.
Mobile testing is crucial for a seamless user experience, avoiding issues like crashes, bugs, and slow performance. Testing also helps in identifying device-specific issues, such as compatibility and connectivity problems, ensuring that apps work correctly on a variety of devices and operating systems.
The Role of App Testing Tools
App testing tools play a crucial role in ensuring the quality and reliability of mobile apps. As mobile app development becomes more complex and challenging, it is essential to have efficient testing tools that can streamline the testing process and identify issues before releasing the app to the market.
There are several types of app testing tools available, including manual testing, automated testing, and a combination of both. Manual testing involves human testers checking the app for bugs and issues manually. This method is time-consuming and prone to errors. Automated testing, on the other hand, uses software to simulate user interactions and test the app's functionality. This method is faster, more accurate, and can cover a wider range of scenarios.
Mobile automation testing tools are particularly useful in streamlining the testing process. They can automate repetitive tasks, reduce testing time, and improve accuracy. They also enable the testing team to focus on more critical areas, such as exploratory testing and user experience testing.
Understanding Mobile Test Automation Tools
Mobile test automation tools are essential for any organization looking to develop high-quality and reliable mobile apps. These tools help streamline the testing process and enable QA teams to focus on identifying critical issues and bugs. Mobile automation testing frameworks are generally used to execute automated test cases and are designed to work with specific app testing frameworks and mobile platforms.
Mobile test automation tools come in different types, including open-source and commercial tools. Open-source tools like Appium and Espresso are free to use and offer a wide range of features. However, these tools require more technical expertise to set up and maintain. Commercial mobile automation testing tools like ours offer a more user-friendly interface and provide additional support and features.
|Open Source||Free to use, wide range of features||Require technical expertise to set up and maintain|
|Commercial||User-friendly interfaces, additional support and features||Cost is often a factor, less customizable|
When selecting a mobile test automation tool, it's crucial to consider factors such as compatibility, scalability, and support. It's important to choose a tool that works with a variety of platforms and technologies. Additionally, the selected tool should be scalable and able to handle an increase in testing requirements as the organization grows.
Understanding Types of Mobile Automation Testing Methodologies
Have you heard of "Test Automation Frameworks"? Well here are is a list of them:
- Keyword-driven frameworks
- Data-driven frameworks
- Hybrid frameworks
- Behavior-driven frameworks
Each mobile automation testing framework has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Keyword-driven frameworks allow testers to write tests in easy-to-read language. Data-driven frameworks enable the creation of test cases that test various scenarios without changing the underlying code. Hybrid frameworks use a combination of the above frameworks and make it easy to switch between them. Behavior-driven frameworks focus on test cases derived from the user's behavior.
At Repeato we incorporated a wide range of features of those testing methodologies:
- Repeato uses tags and sub-tests to offer a keyword-driven approach
- Its scripting feature enables QA people to set up data-driven tests
- And the very friendly no-code interface keeps everyone on the team onboard, simplifying the communication about bugs or missing features.
Comparison of Mobile Test Automation Tools
There are several mobile test automation tools available in the market, each with its own strengths and limitations. Here, we take a closer look at some of the most popular frameworks and compare them based on their features and capabilities:
|Framework||Supported Platforms||Language||UI Testing Support||Integration with CI/CD|
|XCTest/XCUITest||iOS||Swift and Objective-C||Yes||Yes|
|Espresso||Android||Java and Kotlin||Yes||Yes|
|Appium||iOS and Android||Multiple Languages||Yes||Yes|
|Calabash||iOS and Android||Ruby||Yes||Yes|
Note: This is not an all-inclusive list of mobile test automation frameworks available.
XCTest/XCUITest is a popular framework for iOS app testing, with strong support for UI testing and integration with CI/CD pipelines. Espresso is similarly popular for Android app testing, but also supports cross-platform testing. Appium is another popular choice for mobile test automation, with support for both iOS and Android platforms, as well as various programming languages. Calabash provides a simpler and more concise syntax for test scripting, while Robotium is a lightweight and easy-to-learn framework for Android app testing.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Mobile Test Automation Framework
When choosing a mobile test automation framework, it is important to consider several factors, such as:
- Supported platforms
- Programming language and syntax
- UI testing support
- Integration with CI/CD pipelines
- Community support and resources
- Cost and licensing terms
- Ease of use and learning curve
By weighing these factors against your specific needs and requirements, you can choose a mobile test automation framework that best suits your app testing needs.
How Our Mobile Test Automation Tool Works
Our mobile test automation tool is designed to streamline the testing process, reduce testing time, and improve efficiency and productivity. It is a cross-platform tool that can be integrated with various software tools and platforms, making it suitable for different types of mobile apps.
The tool uses scriptless automation, allowing testers to easily create and execute automated test cases without the need for coding skills. This feature ensures faster test case creation and reduces the risk of errors. Additionally, it supports cross-platform testing, enabling testers to test the app on different platforms simultaneously.
Our mobile test automation tool also integrates with CI/CD pipelines, allowing for continuous testing and faster feedback cycles. It generates detailed test reports, providing insights on test coverage, test results, and possible issues.
The key functionalities of our mobile test automation tool include:
- Scriptless automation: Testers can create and execute automated test cases without the need for coding skills.
- Cross-platform testing: The app can be tested on multiple platforms at the same time, reducing testing time and increasing efficiency.
- Integration with CI/CD pipelines: Continuous testing and faster feedback cycles can be achieved by integrating the tool with CI/CD pipelines.
- Detailed test reports: Test reports provide insights on test coverage, test results, and possible issues.
Our mobile test automation tool is easy to use and can be incorporated into the QA process with minimal effort. It is a comprehensive solution that covers all aspects of mobile app testing, including functional testing, performance testing, and security testing.
Integration with Other Software Tools
Our mobile test automation tool is designed to integrate seamlessly with other software tools and platforms, enabling testers to use it in their existing workflow. It supports integration with various tools, including:
|Jenkins||Continuous Integration (CI) tool|
|GitLab||CI/CD tool for DevOps teams|
|JIRA||Project management tool|
|Slack||Team collaboration tool|
Integration with these tools allows for a seamless workflow, and ensures faster feedback cycles and quicker bug resolution.
Benefits of Using Our Mobile Test Automation Tool
Our mobile test automation tool provides a range of benefits for QA teams looking to enhance the quality, reliability, and efficiency of their mobile apps. By automating the testing process, our tool reduces the time and effort required for testing, allowing QA teams to focus on more critical areas of app development.
Moreover, our tool helps in scaling app testing, increasing test coverage, and ensuring faster feedback cycles. By combining scriptless test automation, cross-platform testing, and integration with CI/CD pipelines, our tool provides a comprehensive solution for app testing.
Revolutionize QA with Our Mobile Test Automation Tool Repeato
In today's fast-paced world of software development, mobile test automation has become an essential component for ensuring the quality and reliability of mobile applications. However, many testing tools come with complexities and technical challenges, making it difficult for non-technical individuals to participate in the testing process. And we have the solution: Introducing Repeato, a cutting-edge mobile test automation tool designed to simplify the testing process and deliver exceptional results. Here is some more information about the incredible features and benefits of Repeato and how it can transform your QA efforts.
Simplify Testing with Repeato
At the heart of Repeato lies its primary focus on simplicity, enabling even non-technical individuals to effortlessly work with the tool. This user-friendly desktop software provides an array of powerful capabilities:
- Record and Edit Mobile UI Tests: With Repeato, you can easily record mobile UI tests on both Android and iOS platforms. Furthermore, the tool allows you to edit and save these tests swiftly by copying, pasting, or dragging steps or tests.
- Organize Tests Efficiently: Repeato offers a smart test organization system, allowing you to create libraries and workspaces to manage and categorize tests effectively.
- Test Batches for Streamlined Testing: Once you've recorded your tests, Repeato empowers you to run them together as test batches. You can create various test batches based on your requirements, such as weekly checks, app-specific tests, or pre-release testing. Additionally, each batch run generates a comprehensive report.
Optimizing Test Stability and Performance
Repeato's innovative approach to element search ensures optimal test stability and reduces test-flakiness. Here's how it works:
- Quick Interaction: Repeato quickly interacts with elements as soon as they appear on the screen. Not too early, not too late.
- Customizable Timeout: The tool employs a timeout mechanism to search for elements, which can be adjusted for each step individually.
- Enhanced Stability: Once Repeato finds the right element, it waits until the element stops moving (e.g., screen transition animation) to enhance test stability.
Performance Metrics for Informed Decisions
Repeato provides valuable performance metrics for each test batch run, enabling you to make informed decisions and improve your app's performance:
- App Startup Time: Measure the time your app takes to start. Increased startup time may indicate inefficient libraries or excessive workload during startup.
- Test Run Duration: Analyze the time each test takes to complete. Slow test runs may highlight server or internet connectivity issues or slow processes within the app.
- Skipped Frames Count: Identify potential app freezes that lead to a poor user experience. Reporting skipped frames helps you address performance bottlenecks.
Support for Continuous Integration
Repeato seamlessly integrates with your continuous integration (CI) flow. The tool runs headless as a Node.js application, making it compatible with virtually any system. Although Repeato currently does not offer cloud services for running tests, you can use third-party services like Github Actions, Bitrise, Codemagic, or CircleCI to run your tests on virtual devices.
How to Incorporate Our Mobile Test Automation Tool in Your QA Process
Integrating our mobile test automation tool into your QA process is a straightforward process. Follow these steps to get started:
- Download & install Repeato-Studio: Repeato-Studio comes with everything needed to create your tests. No additional drivers are needed!
- Create automated test cases: Using our tool, create automated test cases that cover your app's critical functionalities and scenarios. This process is straightforward and user-friendly, with our tool offering recording functionality for creating test cases.
- Execute automated tests: Once the test cases are created, use our tool to execute them on different devices. This step helps in identifying issues and bugs early in the development cycle.
- Integrate with CI/CD pipelines: We ship an extra command line program called "Repeato CLI". It can be easily integrated with your CI/CD pipelines, enabling continuous testing and faster feedback cycles.
- Generate test reports: Repeato-Studio and Repeato-CLI both offer detailed test reports that provide insights into bugs, but also into the app's performance, stability, and functionality. These reports help in identifying the areas that need improvement and optimizing the testing process.
By following these steps, you can seamlessly integrate our mobile test automation tool into your QA process and enhance the quality of your mobile apps.
FAQ on Mobile Test Automation Tool
Looking for answers to your questions about mobile test automation tools? We've got you covered! Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about app testing frameworks and mobile automation testing tools.
What is the cost of a mobile test automation tool?
The cost of a mobile test automation tool depends on various factors such as the features, scalability, and support provided. It is best to shop around and compare several options to find a tool that meets your needs and budget.
What are the compatibility requirements for a mobile test automation tool?
The compatibility requirements for a mobile test automation tool depend on your app development platform and the tools and technologies used in your organization. Make sure to check the tool's compatibility with your platform and other relevant software before making a purchase.
Is technical support available for mobile test automation tools?
Yes, most mobile test automation tools come with technical support. However, the level and quality of support may vary depending on the tool and the vendor. Make sure to check the support options and availability before making a purchase.
Can mobile test automation tools integrate with other app testing tools?
Yes, mobile test automation tools can integrate with other app testing tools, such as performance testing and security testing tools. Integration with other tools can help in streamlining the testing process and improving efficiency.
How do mobile test automation tools ensure security and data privacy?
Mobile test automation tools follow industry standards and best practices for security and data privacy. However, it is also important to ensure that the tool vendor follows rigorous security measures and complies with data privacy regulations.
Can mobile test automation tools help in scaling app testing?
Yes, mobile test automation tools can help in scaling app testing by automating repetitive and time-consuming tasks, enabling faster feedback cycles, and increasing test coverage. With the right tool and strategy, you can ensure that your app testing scales with your business needs.
You can also find some more FAQs on the Repeato FAQ page.
Mobile Test Automation: Comparing Repeato with Other Test Automation Tools
Mobile test automation plays a pivotal role in ensuring the quality and reliability of mobile applications. As the demand for mobile testing tools grows, a plethora of options have emerged in the market. One standout tool is Repeato, a mobile test automation framework that takes a unique approach to simplify the testing process. In this comprehensive comparison, we'll explore how Repeato fares against other leading mobile test automation tools, delving into their features, benefits, and best use cases.
Understanding the Landscape: Mobile Test Automation Tools
Before we delve into the specifics of Repeato, let's briefly review other notable mobile test automation tools:
- Espresso: A widely-used testing framework for Android app testing. Espresso operates on a view-based approach and requires developers to define unique references to views using IDs or layout paths.
- Appium: An open-source testing framework that allows cross-platform mobile testing. It supports frameworks like Flutter, React Native, Xamarin, and more.
- XCUITest: Apple's official framework for iOS app testing, supporting real devices and simulators.
- Calabash: An open-source tool that allows you to write tests using Cucumber, enabling collaboration between technical and non-technical team members.
Repeato: Revolutionizing Mobile Test Automation
Repeato stands out in the mobile test automation landscape due to its innovative use of computer vision and machine learning. Unlike traditional frameworks that rely on element IDs and view hierarchy, Repeato operates on pixel data, making it more adaptable and resilient to UI changes.
Key Advantages of Repeato:
- No-Code Automation: Repeato's no-code approach empowers testers of all technical backgrounds to create and execute tests with ease. The visual test recorder generates visual fingerprints for each interaction, ensuring stable and accurate UI testing without writing code.
- Pixel-Perfect Assertions: Repeato's pixel-based approach enables precise and reliable assertions. It "sees" the app just like a human tester, making it easier to validate UI elements and interactions across various devices and screen sizes.
- Real Device Testing: Unlike some cloud-based solutions, Repeato supports testing on real devices, offering a more authentic testing environment. This is essential for identifying device-specific issues that emulators may not catch.
- Test Stability: Repeato's unique element search mechanism ensures stable test runs by waiting for elements to stop moving before executing actions. This reduces test-flakiness and provides consistent results.
- Comprehensive Reporting: Repeato generates visual step-by-step reports, making it easier to understand test results and quickly identify and troubleshoot issues.
Comparing Features: Repeato vs. Other Test Automation Tools
Let's delve into a detailed feature comparison between Repeato and other leading mobile test automation tools:
|Improved Stability - Reduced Flakiness||✔||✔||✕||✔||✕|
|Support for app frameworks (Xamarin,Unreal, Ionic, ...)||✔||✕||with special drivers||✕||✕|
Best Use Cases for Repeato
Repeato excels in specific use cases, making it a top choice for mobile test automation:
- Fast Results: Need to have some test automation ready before the end of the day? No problem! Repeato allows you to create tests in minutes or even seconds.
- Real Device Testing: For testing real-world scenarios on actual devices, Repeato's support for real device testing is invaluable.
- Pixel-Perfect Validations: When precision is crucial, Repeato's pixel-perfect assertions ensure pixel-level accuracy in app UI validations. Screenshot testing with Repeato is a no-brainer.
Choosing the right mobile test automation framework is essential for efficient and reliable testing. Repeato's innovative use of computer vision, no-code automation, and support for real device testing make it a powerful contender in the market. While other frameworks have their merits, Repeato's unique advantages make it an excellent choice for UI-intensive apps and scenarios requiring pixel-perfect validations. Embrace the future of mobile test automation with Repeato and experience the simplicity and accuracy it brings to your testing efforts!