In the realm of software testing, Katalon and Dropshots offer distinct approaches to quality assurance. Katalon is a comprehensive platform with AI-enhanced capabilities, supporting web and mobile applications, and catering to both novice and experienced testers with its low-code options.
Alternatively, Dropshots focuses exclusively on Android, providing an open-source library for on-device screenshot testing to ensure visual consistency. This comparison will help you discern which tool aligns with your project’s needs, whether you require a versatile testing suite or a specialized tool for Android app development.
Latest update: 1/29/2024, 3:34:32 PM
We do not guarantee the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the information presented on our website. This includes prices, product specifications, and availability, which are subject to change. The reviews on this site are collected from g2.com and crozdesk.com and summarized by us.
Feature comparison of Katalon and Dropshots
|Uses Computer Vision
|Ease Of Use
|easy to learn
|requires expert technical knowledge
|Is Open Source
– Reduced Effort in Test Maintenance: Users report that Katalon simplifies the creation and maintenance of reusable methods, which can reduce time and effort significantly.
– Built-in Reporting Features: The platform automatically captures snapshots on test failures, which enhances the efficiency of reporting.
– Comprehensive Test Features: Offers features like Record, Object Spy, and Frame Handling, which streamline the testing process.
– Low Learning Curve: Katalon is accessible to manual testers, allowing them to transition to automation testing with minimal training.
– Cross-Functional Testing Support: It supports UI, API, and Mobile testing within a single platform, reducing the need to manage different tools for different types of testing.
– Community and Customer Support: There is strong community support for the free version and dedicated customer support for the paid version.
– Facilitates Cross-Functional Roles: Enables testers to handle both manual and automated testing, effectively becoming cross-functional team members.
– CI/CD Integration: For those who opt for the paid version, it offers Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment integration.
– Codeless Automation: Provides a codeless automation option, making it accessible for teams with limited coding knowledge.
– Efficiency in Test Execution: Users find that Katalon allows for faster test execution compared to manual testing, enabling more extensive and frequent testing.
– Separate Licensing: Some users find the need for separate licenses for different features to be a disadvantage.
– Cost for Advanced Features: Advanced features like CI/CD integration and Visual Testing require a paid license.
– Mobile Execution Issues: There have been reports of instability during mobile test execution, where sessions unexpectedly close.
– High Resource Usage: Users with less powerful hardware have experienced performance issues, indicating the platform may require substantial system resources.
– Lack of Support for Legacy Systems: Katalon currently does not support automation testing for legacy Java UIs, which can be a limitation for some organizations.
– Limited TestOps Analytics: The free version has limitations on the analytical results available through TestOps, pushing users towards the paid version for full functionality.
– Separate Licensing for Cloud Features: Features like Parallel Cloud Execution and Cloud Tunnelling require additional licensing, which can increase costs.
– Limited Free Features: Some users feel that the most valuable features are locked behind the paid version, which can be a barrier for smaller teams or individual users.
– Hardware Demands: The platform’s demand on hardware resources can lead to slower performance on less capable machines.
– No Bundled Packages: Users would prefer bundled packages for the various Katalon products to simplify licensing and possibly reduce costs.
Pricing Overview of Katalon and Dropshots
Katalon Pricing Summary
Katalon presents a tiered pricing model tailored to accommodate the varying needs of software testing teams. It includes:
- Starter Plan: Free, suitable for small teams or beginners, with basic test automation features.
- Premium Plan: $167 per month (when billed annually) for more sophisticated test automation tools and dynamic testing processes.
- Ultimate Plan: Custom pricing for enterprise-grade features.
- The platform also offers up to 25% savings on annual billing and package deals for combined licenses. New customers enjoy special discounts on initial licenses. Katalon emphasizes a comprehensive quality management experience, covering web, API, mobile, and desktop testing, and incorporates AI and visual testing capabilities.
Dropshots Pricing Summary
Dropshots is characterized by its simplicity, offering:
- Free Use: As an open-source software, it is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute.
Comparison of Pricing Models
- Both Katalon and Dropshots offer a free option that allows users to begin without any upfront investment.
- They are designed to cater to users who are either new to the field or require basic functionality without a financial commitment.
- Pricing Structure: Katalon employs a more complex pricing structure with multiple tiers, while Dropshots maintains a straightforward approach with its free open-source model.
- Target Audience: Katalon targets a broader audience, from small teams to large enterprises, with its scalable plans. Dropshots, being open-source, generally appeals to a community of users who prefer free and customizable solutions.
- Features and Capabilities: With Katalon, higher-tier plans unlock more advanced features, supporting a wide range of testing types and incorporating AI enhancements. Dropshots, as free software, may not offer the same level of advanced features or support.
- Enterprise Support: Katalon’s Ultimate plan is specifically designed for enterprise needs, likely offering dedicated support and additional resources. Dropshots, on the other hand, may rely on community support given its open-source nature.
- Billing and Discounts: Katalon provides discounts for annual billing and package deals, which can be appealing for long-term planning and budgeting. Dropshots does not involve any billing or subscription fees.
- Custom Pricing: Only Katalon offers custom pricing, which is indicative of a more personalized approach to accommodate specific enterprise requirements.
In summary, Katalon’s pricing model is multifaceted and designed to support a range of professional testing scenarios, with a clear path for scaling up as teams grow and require more advanced features. Dropshots, with its free open-source model, offers a no-cost solution but may not provide the same level of sophistication or dedicated support as Katalon. Users should consider the key differences in these pricing models when evaluating which product aligns best with their testing requirements and budget constraints.