In the dynamic realm of test automation, Katalon and mabl stand out as prominent tools designed to streamline the software testing process. Katalon provides a versatile quality management platform with features like AI-augmented regression testing, visual testing, and AWS Device Farm integration for cross-platform testing.
On the other hand, mabl is a low-code automation platform that focuses on end-to-end test coverage and integrates seamlessly with CI/CD workflows. This comparison will delve into each product’s offerings, from ease of use and AI capabilities to their support and deployment options, helping you discern the best fit for your testing needs.
Latest update: 1/31/2024, 3:45:24 PM
We do not guarantee the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the information presented on our website. This includes prices, product specifications, and availability, which are subject to change. The reviews on this site are collected from g2.com and crozdesk.com and summarized by us.
Feature comparison of Katalon and Mabl
|Device Farm Comment
|Uses Computer Vision
|Ease Of Use
|easy to learn
|very easy to learn
|Is Open Source
– Reduced Effort in Test Maintenance: Users report that Katalon simplifies the creation and maintenance of reusable methods, which can reduce time and effort significantly.
– Built-in Reporting Features: The platform automatically captures snapshots on test failures, which enhances the efficiency of reporting.
– Comprehensive Test Features: Offers features like Record, Object Spy, and Frame Handling, which streamline the testing process.
– Low Learning Curve: Katalon is accessible to manual testers, allowing them to transition to automation testing with minimal training.
– Cross-Functional Testing Support: It supports UI, API, and Mobile testing within a single platform, reducing the need to manage different tools for different types of testing.
– Community and Customer Support: There is strong community support for the free version and dedicated customer support for the paid version.
– Facilitates Cross-Functional Roles: Enables testers to handle both manual and automated testing, effectively becoming cross-functional team members.
– CI/CD Integration: For those who opt for the paid version, it offers Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment integration.
– Codeless Automation: Provides a codeless automation option, making it accessible for teams with limited coding knowledge.
– Efficiency in Test Execution: Users find that Katalon allows for faster test execution compared to manual testing, enabling more extensive and frequent testing.
1. Easy to implement and deploy across teams.
2. Comprehensive documentation with practical examples and strong support from the mabl team.
3. Supports multi-browser and API testing, including Postman collection imports for end-to-end user flow automation.
4. No infrastructure maintenance required with a low-code approach suitable for non-technical teams.
5. Demonstrates good return on investment when compared to the cost of hiring full-time testing personnel.
6. Facilitates rapid test case development with built-in auto-healing capabilities, essential for Agile environments.
7. Features an intuitive visual trainer for quick creation and updating of test cases.
8. Supports multi-tab testing in browsers and captures visual comparisons and performance metrics.
9. Enables efficient test creation through features like data tables for testing multiple scenarios.
10. Offers SaaS automation, detailed test results, and a new learning platform (mabl University) for user training.
– Separate Licensing: Some users find the need for separate licenses for different features to be a disadvantage.
– Cost for Advanced Features: Advanced features like CI/CD integration and Visual Testing require a paid license.
– Mobile Execution Issues: There have been reports of instability during mobile test execution, where sessions unexpectedly close.
– High Resource Usage: Users with less powerful hardware have experienced performance issues, indicating the platform may require substantial system resources.
– Lack of Support for Legacy Systems: Katalon currently does not support automation testing for legacy Java UIs, which can be a limitation for some organizations.
– Limited TestOps Analytics: The free version has limitations on the analytical results available through TestOps, pushing users towards the paid version for full functionality.
– Separate Licensing for Cloud Features: Features like Parallel Cloud Execution and Cloud Tunnelling require additional licensing, which can increase costs.
– Limited Free Features: Some users feel that the most valuable features are locked behind the paid version, which can be a barrier for smaller teams or individual users.
– Hardware Demands: The platform’s demand on hardware resources can lead to slower performance on less capable machines.
– No Bundled Packages: Users would prefer bundled packages for the various Katalon products to simplify licensing and possibly reduce costs.
1. Does not support native mobile test automation.
2. Lacks integration with some popular test management tools like Testrail.
3. Limited reporting options and areas for improvement in security features.
4. Occasional discrepancies between cloud and local executions, leading to unexpected failures.
5. The mabl documentation could benefit from more detailed, specific examples.
6. The use of labels for test organization can be confusing and has a learning curve.
7. Challenges with the Trainer incorrectly recording steps, requiring re-recording to fix issues.
8. Inconsistencies with tests that only run successfully within a test plan and not independently.
9. Lack of a more extensive community for user support compared to open-source alternatives.
10. Auto-healing feature can be overly aggressive and may incorrectly modify tests without user intent.
Pricing Overview of Katalon and Mabl
Katalon Pricing Description
Katalon offers a tiered pricing model with a clear structure and multiple plans to accommodate different team sizes and testing needs. The Starter Plan is free, providing essential test automation features for small teams or those new to automated testing. For more advanced capabilities, Katalon’s Premium Plan begins at $167 per month (when billed annually) and caters to professional-grade testing environments. The Ultimate Plan is aimed at enterprise-level requirements and involves custom pricing. Katalon incentivizes annual billing with up to a 25% discount and presents new customers with special deals on initial licenses. Their pricing model emphasizes a comprehensive quality management experience, supporting a variety of testing types and methodologies, including AI-enhanced and visual testing.
Mabl Pricing Description
Mabl adopts a customized pricing strategy that is tailored to the specific needs of a software team. Instead of predefined plans, mabl requires potential customers to request a pricing quote, which is then crafted to align with the team’s test coverage and scalability goals. Mabl’s approach is consultative, offering a custom ROI analysis and market comparison during the pricing discussion. They also provide a calculator tool to help teams estimate their testing needs. Mabl’s value proposition includes significant enhancements in test coverage, speed, and reduction in production bugs, with a focus on integrating quality assurance processes into the development lifecycle.
Comparison of the Pricing Models
- Flexibility and Scalability: Both Katalon and mabl offer pricing that scales with the needs of the team, ensuring flexibility for organizations of different sizes.
- Annual Savings: Katalon explicitly offers savings for annual billing commitments, while mabl’s custom quote likely considers the billing cycle’s impact on pricing.
- Focus on Quality: Each product emphasizes the importance of comprehensive testing capabilities to ensure software quality, albeit through different means.
- Pricing Transparency: Katalon has a transparent, tiered pricing structure with defined plans and starting prices, whereas mabl provides personalized pricing that requires direct contact for a quote.
- Free Plan Availability: Katalon offers a Starter Plan free of charge, which is suitable for small teams or those beginning with automation, while mabl does not explicitly mention a free tier.
- Customization Level: Mabl’s pricing is highly customized, involving a detailed analysis of the team’s needs, while Katalon’s tiered plans offer predetermined feature sets with some level of customization in package deals.
- Consultative Approach: Mabl includes a consultative session with an ROI analysis and market comparison, positioning itself as a partner in the customer’s testing strategy, whereas Katalon focuses on the product’s features and available plans.
- Enterprise Engagement: Katalon has a specific Ultimate plan for enterprise-grade needs with custom pricing, while mabl tailors the entire pricing experience to the enterprise without predefined categories.
Readers should now understand that Katalon offers a more traditional tiered pricing model with a free entry-level option and clear upgrade paths, while mabl provides a bespoke pricing experience that is crafted after in-depth analysis and consultation with the customer. Katalon’s model is suitable for teams preferring straightforward plans and pricing, while mabl is ideal for teams seeking a tailored solution with a consultative approach to pricing and value assessment.